A healthy gut is an important part of a healthy body. The colon, along with the small and large intestines, is the main place where nutrients from food are absorbed. If the colon is not clean, it cannot perform this very crucial function. Not only that, but the impacted faecal material that accumulate in the intestines and colon release toxins into the blood. You’re actually getting poison instead of food – not a good exchange.
Symptoms that you need a bowel detox can range from fatigue, PMS, headaches and, of course, constipation. There are several ways to cleanse the colon, including colonic irrigation, enemas, dietary fibre, and laxatives.
Benefits of Colon Cleanse
Having a healthy gut has many beneficial effects on the body. Here are some benefits you can expect from following a diet that promotes gut health.
- Prevents constipation: This is the lack of regular bowel movements due to a chronic digestive response, which leaves waste products in the system for a long time. Many conditions and disorders such as haemorrhoids and varicose veins can occur alongside constipation.
- Maintains a healthy digestive system: Having a healthy gut helps to maintain proper intake of vitamins and nutrients. As well as facilitating waste passage, it promotes a healthy environment.
- Promotes weight loss: Regular consumption of low-fibre foods can cause food to stay in the stomach longer, stick to the intestinal wall, and weigh down the digestive tract with kilograms of faeces. A bowel movement can help get rid of excess weight and kick start your metabolism.
- Increases energy: removing harmful toxins from the body can rejuvenate the body. Colon massage can improve blood circulation, provide more restful sleep, and boost energy.
- Improves focus: A poor diet can cause you to lack vitamins and essential nutrients, which can distract you and make it easier for you to lose focus. A good detox cleanse can mean the difference between feeling optimistic and not being able to focus, affecting your work, relationships, and overall health.
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer: By eating healthy foods that promote digestive health, you can get rid of unhealthy waste. This helps the body reduce the causes and risks of developing polyps, cysts, and cancerous growths in the colon and intestinal tract.
- Increase Fertility: A diet high in fibre helps cleanse the colon and helps improve weight control. Excess fat cells in the body can increase the production of oestrogen in both men and women. The latter can have fertility problems if there is a hormonal imbalance.
5 ways to cleanse your colon
Drink more water. Your body needs plenty of water to eliminate toxins. Most people should ingest half their body weight in ounces per day for optimal gut health. This means that, for example, if you weigh 120 kilograms, you should drink 60 litres of water per day. This is important if you want to improve the health of your intestines.
That may seem like a lot of water, but if you stir in a glass or two every few hours, it won’t seem like too much. Do not try to drink it straight away. It can make you sick. It is especially critical to increase water intake when increasing fibre or taking fibre supplements. Added fibre in food requires you to drink more water to be properly digested. Talk to your doctor about how much water is right for you, especially if you have kidney disease.
Drink juices and smoothies to cleanse your colon. One way to help remove toxins from your gut and improve your gut health is to add smoothies and natural juices to your diet. One of the reasons why fruit and vegetable juices work to keep your colon clean is that they contain antioxidants. Scientists report that plant foods are rich in dietary polyphenols that have many beneficial health effects. Polyphenols help stimulate “healthy” bacteria and kill toxins in the gut. Human studies have found that adding fruit and vegetable juices to fermented milk products (such as kefir and yogurt) can be a helpful way to improve your gut health.
Remember that by drinking juice, you also lose the fibre content. You can avoid this by drinking smoothies instead.
Take probiotics. Adding probiotics to your diet is another way to clear the gut. It also improves overall health in many other ways. Probiotics introduce healthy bacteria to the gut with the help of fibre and resistant starch. These prevent inflammation and promote regularity – two aspects of digestive health linked to the gut. You can get more probiotics by using probiotic supplements. Also, eat lots of foods that contain probiotics, such as yogurt, kimchi, pickles, and other fortified foods.
Eat foods that help your body detox. Certain foods will help you lose weight. These include vegetables from the Brassica family, such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, and collards. These vegetables contain many nutrients and compounds called sulforaphanes which are very helpful in assisting your body to detox. Also, make sure you eat a lot of fibre, because fibre-rich foods help move food through the intestines faster. Some healthy foods with fibre are green leafy vegetables, apples, berries, and brown rice. Eating fibre-rich foods can also improve the health of the intestine by promoting bowel emptying.
Studies have shown that chlorophyll reduces the absorption of toxins and aids in detoxification. Chlorophyll is found in abundance in dark leafy greens.
Use laxatives. Laxatives are products that stimulate your bowels to work faster and get rid of their contents. Be very careful with laxatives, because they can cause discomfort and diarrhea if taken in large doses. They can also cause other side effects such as belching, bloating, or stomach cramps. Try brands like Milk of Magnesia, Miralax or Dulcolax. Enemas can also be used to help cleanse the colon during a detox program. When you do an enema, you inject water into your bowel to stimulate bowel movements and help remove impurities from the bowel.
If you use laxatives and enemas for a long time, your colon will become accustomed to them. Therefore, be sure to only use them for a few days at a time.
Potential Risks associated with colon cleanse
Although part of the weight loss associated with colon cleansing is due to the elimination of waste, it also results in the elimination of fluid. Dehydration can cause kidney failure in severe cases.
Colon cleansing can disrupt the balance of electrolytes such as potassium and sodium in your body. These chemicals carry electrical signals through cells, and an imbalance can lead to unconsciousness and kidney damage.
Colon cleansing can invite harmful bacteria into the lower digestive system through the use of equipment and fluids. They also eliminate the good bacteria that can fight this disease.
Perforation of the intestines
Intestinal perforation occurs when a tear occurs in the wall of the small intestine. It is considered a medical emergency. Although the symptoms start with fever, pain, chills, and nausea, they can progress and even be fatal.
Tips for good colon cleansing
If you are aware of the risks and are still interested in colon cleansing, there are things you can do to reduce your chances of developing health problems.
Talk to your doctor first. Some people may be at higher risk for complications.
Drink lots of water. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration before and after you cleanse.
Choose your therapist wisely. There is no license required for colon hygienists, but some members of professional organizations require training in first aid and CPR. Talk to other therapists before making your appointment.
Make sure that only new, disposable, and protective equipment is used. Make sure your hygienist has proper disinfection procedures and uses disposables whenever possible. Colon cleansing products can carry bacteria if not disinfected properly.