What is self-esteem
Self-esteem is the level of value or perception that we accord ourselves. This value often stems from our beliefs, thoughts and emotional state. When it comes to self-esteem, not everyone enjoys same level of self-esteem. A person’s self-esteem can either be high or low and this generally affects the person’s health and wellbeing. We all have different things that make us feel great about ourselves and there are also persons who struggle with their feelings.
How does self-esteem affect us
When our self-esteem is high, we tend to find negative conditions more bearable. We also experience less anxiety and depression. people with healthy self esteem find it easier to build healthy relationships with others and with themselves. For example, if someone with a high self-esteem buys a luxury car, he will feel good about himself but when the self-esteem is low, he may not feel so good regardless of how much he has struggled to get the car.
Worse still as self esteem falls it will get to a stage where you begin to find ways to make you feel better about yourself. You may try to seek validation from friends or things like food and alcohol. In moderation this is usually normal because everyone wants validation and craves attention but when those type of things become all the person can think of, then they become dependent on them. This often leads to addiction and other complications.
Signs of low self-esteem
People who have low self-esteem often think they are not good enough. Such people feel less motivated to try new things. They tend to avoid large gatherings because they feel insecure. Because of the low self esteem, they often experience anxiety and depression. Most of their thoughts are negative. Also, they usually engage in unhealthy habits like overeating, smoking and excessive drinking. Low self-esteem if not detected early and resolved leads to mental health problems. Below are 10 simple ways to help improve your self esteem.
10 ways to improve your self esteem
The key to building your self-esteem is to become the best you can be. Knowing, believing and accepting that you are a real person with real feelings who deserves respect from yourself and from others will help you develop a strong sense of self-worth.
- always keep your thoughts positive and focus on the positive views about life. Do not dwell on past failures or mistakes, just see them as a learning process.
- speak positive affirmations to yourself daily. Always tell yourself that you can be or do anything you choose.
- set realistic goals for yourselves. This helps to keep you focused and as you achieve each goal, your self esteem increases.
- identify your strengths and build them up. find time everyday to do at least one thing that makes you happy.
- accept your weaknesses and be willing to make improvements when and where necessary. Remember, no one is perfect
- learn to give and accept honest compliments. This helps you stay positive with yourself and with life
- don’t seek approval from people. Encourage yourself and celebrate your achievements no matter how small.
- be kind to others, show love and support to others genuinely. Such acts of kindness will most often find their way back to you and help you feel better about yourself.
- don’t neglect yourself. Eat well, sleep well, reduce stress. self care helps you stay positive and builds up your self worth.
- avoid the comparison trap. Never compare yourself with others, no two persons in this world are the same. Invest in yourself and your passion.
If you consistently follow these steps daily, you can easily overcome low self esteem and enjoy a happy life.