Acne is a skin infection that occurs when hair follicles get blocked by oil, dead skin cells or bacteria. It is very common among teenagers and usually show up as bumps or pimples on the face, chest and back. Major features of acne are black heads, oily skin, and scars. People who have severe acne often suffer from depression and low self-esteem.
FACTORS THAT AFFECT ACNE
About 80% of acne cases is genetically determined. Other factors include
The goal of acne treatment is to reduce oil secretion, reduce swelling and prevent scarring. The nature of the treatment to be used will largely depend on the severity of the disease and the patient’s age. Treatment involves the use of both topical and oral medications. If bacterial infection is present, then antibiotics may be necessary.
The major side effect of using creams ointments and gels for acne treatment is that they cause skin irritation and dryness. They also increase the skin sensitivity to sunlight, so they are best used in the evenings.
The oral medications for acne treatment are antibiotics and oral birth control pills. Antibiotics should be used for a short period of time to prevent resistance. A major side effect with the birth control pills is that they can cause weight gain.
- Cinnamon-honey paste -mix 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon, 1teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional) to form a smooth paste. Apply over face or affected areas, leave for 30minutes then rinse off with warm water.
- Aloe vera – mix aloe vera gel with nutmeg powder and lemon juice. Apply on affected areas and leave for 30minutes, rinse with warm water.
- Egg white -extract egg white and beat until it foams. Add honey and mix. Apply mixture to your face and leave for 20minutes. Rinse face with warm water and apply moisturizer.
- Tomato – cut a tomato into two and use one-half to scrub the face. Allow to dry and rinse with warm water. Do this every morning and night.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) – dilute 1 tablespoon of ACV with 3tablespoons of water. Wash face with soap and water. Soak a cotton in the ACV mix and use this to wipe your face. Leave it for some minute then rinse your face with water and pat dry with a towel.
- Green Tea – soak a green tea bag in water for 10minutes. Wash face with soap and clean water. Pour the tea in a spray bottle and spray your face. Leave it to dry then rinse face with warm water.
- Sugar and coconut oil scrub – mix sugar and coconut oil to make a scrub and use this to wash the affected skin. This process is known as exfoliation. Exfoliation helps to open the pores of the skin and remove dead skin cell.
Acne treatment may take some time before the results begin to show so a lot of patience will be helpful.
Having a regular skin care routine using the right products for your skin type and eating low glycaemic index foods will help to keep acne under control.
If you’re still having a hard time getting your acne under control after trying several options, then its time to see a dermatologist.