Watermelon is a sweet and refreshing fruit that is widely popular during the summer months. It is a member of the Cucurbitaceae family and is believed to have originated in southern Africa.
Watermelons have a thick outer rind that is typically green in colour with dark green stripes. Inside, the flesh is juicy and sweet, ranging in colour from pink to deep red, depending on the variety. Watermelons are also known for their high water content, with some varieties containing up to 90% water.
In addition to being delicious, watermelon is also packed with nutrients. It is a good source of vitamin C, which helps to support a healthy immune system, and contains other important vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, potassium, and magnesium. Watermelon is also low in calories and is a great option for those looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy diet.
Watermelons can be enjoyed in a variety of ways, from simply slicing and eating the fruit to using it in salads, smoothies, and other recipes. In some cultures, watermelon seeds are roasted and eaten as a snack, while the rind can be pickled or used in jams and preserves.
Overall, watermelon is a delicious and nutritious fruit that is perfect for staying cool and hydrated during the hot summer months.
How to make watermelon cake
Watermelon cake is a delicious and refreshing dessert that’s perfect for summer parties and gatherings. Let me show you how to make watermelon cake at home. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own watermelon cake:
- 1 seedless watermelon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh fruit (such as strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, and raspberries)
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Cut off the ends of the watermelon and slice off the rind so that you have a cylinder-shaped piece of watermelon.
- Place the watermelon upright on a serving platter and pat it dry with paper towels.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until it forms soft peaks.
- Spread the whipped cream mixture all over the watermelon, smoothing it out with a spatula.
- Decorate the top of the watermelon cake with fresh fruit, arranging it in a decorative pattern.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- Chill the watermelon cake in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Slice and serve this delicious and refreshing watermelon cake to your guests and watch it disappear in no time!