High blood pressure, or hypertension, is a medical condition in which the blood pressure in the arteries is always high. This increase in blood pressure forces the heart to work harder and constricts the blood vessels. The resulting pressure on the arteries can make them hard and narrow, which increases the risk of heart disease and can damage the organs in the kidneys, heart, and arteries. There are several simple home remedies to treat high blood pressure.
The human body has mechanisms that can reduce high blood pressure, but sometimes these mechanisms are not enough to keep blood vessels healthy and functioning. This is where the home remedies to treat high blood pressure come to play. Hypertension has no symptoms, so people often don’t know they have high blood pressure. Therefore, it has a reputation of being a silent killer.
Risk Factors for High Blood Pressure
Although the exact cause of high blood pressure is unknown, there are various factors that affect the development of high blood pressure, including:
- Genetic factors
- Excess salt in food
- Little or no exercise
- Excess Alcohol consumption
- Sleep Apnoea
- Thyroid and adrenal disease
- Chronic kidney disease
Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
Most people with high blood pressure usually have no symptoms. In severe cases, they may experience headaches, nosebleeds, or shortness of breath. Other key signs include:
- chest pain
- Repeated pain
- Heart palpitations
- panic attack
Home Remedies to treat High Blood Pressure
High blood pressure is often treated with medications. However, you can also control your blood pressure with these simple home remedies.
- DASH diet – Dietary Approach to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet suggests eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, lean meats, and fish, while eliminating processed foods, full-fat dairy products, and fatty meats. It also recommends eating less salt, quit smoking, and quit excessive alcohol consumption.
- Turmeric tea – Turmeric contains curcumin, which reduces inflammation and helps improve blood flow. Turmeric also helps to remove plaque build-up on the arterial walls and improves cardiovascular function. You can make turmeric tea by adding 1 teaspoon of the powder to a glass of (warm) water or milk and drink this tea daily. Turmeric capsules or tinctures are also available online and in stores.
- Hibiscus leaves (zobo) – Hibiscus tea has been shown to naturally lower high blood pressure because it contains flavonoids that inhibit the clotting of blood, enhance coronary artery function, and stimulate insulin production. Boil for 10minutes (no additives) and drink 2-3 cups daily.
- Basil leaves – Basil contains certain essential components like endothelin that are known to constrict your blood vessels and lower blood pressure. Add 1 teaspoon of honey to fresh basil juice and drink every morning on empty stomach. Also add basil leaves to your meals and salads.
- Watermelon seeds – The seeds of watermelon contain a compound called cucurbocitrin, which widens the blood vessels, increases blood flow throughout the body and lowers blood pressure. Citrulline is another component of watermelon seeds, which reduces aortic blood pressure and protects the heart. Crush 1teaspoon of watermelon seeds and steep in hot water for 1hour. Drink daily.
- Onion juice– onions contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that help lower blood pressure and increase the level of high-density lipoprotein – HDL (good cholesterol). Take 1 teaspoon of onion juice twice a day for 1-2 weeks. You can also eat raw onion in salad. You can add honey and onion juice. Take half a spoon of honey and add half a spoon of onion juice to it. Mix it and take it twice a day to avoid high blood pressure.
- Fenugreek seeds– Fenugreek seeds are effective in lowering blood pressure due to their high fibre and potassium content. Take two spoons of fenugreek seeds and boil them in hot water for a few minutes. Then, clean them and make a good paste. Take this paste in the morning on an empty stomach in the evening.
- Water– if you have hypertension, it is important that you stay hydrated always. Water should be consumed at least eight to ten times a day. Coconut water is also very helpful in lowering blood pressure.
- Beet (Beetroot)– Beets are a good source of potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and sodium. Beetroot juice can be of great help in controlling high blood pressure. Beetroot juice should be consumed every morning.
- Bananas– Bananas are high in potassium, which reduces the effects of sodium. This makes them effective in regulating high blood pressure. People with high blood pressure are advised to eat 2-3 bananas per day. Note: Bananas are not recommended for diabetics.
- Oregano- Oregano is one of the best sodium-free foods. It contains a substance called carvacrol, which is effective against high blood pressure. It reduces blood pressure, heart rate, and diastolic and systolic pressure. Steep fresh (or dried) oregano leaves in a cup of boiled water for 15minutes, sieve and drink. Take 3 times daily. Note: this tea should not be taken by pregnant or nursing mothers and people with low haemoglobin.
- Cardamom– Cardamom contains minerals like calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Potassium is an important part of body and cell fluids that helps regulate heart rate and blood pressure. it can be consumed in powder or fruit form.
- Carrots– Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, vitamins A and C. They prevent damage to blood vessels and cell death. Additionally, antioxidants remove free radicals from the body. They are also rich in potassium which makes the balance of water in your body and at the same time makes the blood pressure in the blood. Consume carrot juice 1-3 times per day.
- Tomatoes– Tomatoes are rich in beta-carotene, antioxidants, potassium, and vitamin E, which help in reducing high blood pressure. The lycopene presence can reduce bad cholesterol and prevent the accumulation of fat in the arteries that can lead to heart disease such as atherosclerosis. You can eat a cup of fresh tomatoes or drink a glass of fresh tomato juice daily.
- Pomegranates– Pomegranate fruit is rich in antioxidants such as anthocyanins and tannins as well as other nutrients. These fruits are also rich in flavonoids, phytochemicals, punicalagin and polyphenols. Antioxidants prevent cell damage and fight cancer and heart disease. Punicalagin in pomegranate increases good cholesterol, reduces bad cholesterol, prevents arterial blockages, lowers blood pressure, and improves the function of blood vessels and the heart. Take a glass of pomegranate juice daily or add the fruit to your salads.
Maintaining normal blood pressure is very important. There is no cure for high blood pressure, but there are home remedies to treat high blood pressure. In addition to these home remedies, it is also important to change your lifestyle, follow a good diet and exercise regularly.